Monday, November 17, 2008

From whom do we live

Hands trembling, she tried hard to stand up from her chair. Lines and lines of veins, became more clearly to be seen on her skinny arms as she slowly lifted herself up.

She got herself up and sat down beside the bed, where today papers spread messily on it. Her short curly hair did not move in the air-conditioned room, as she bent to find for the contact book on the table beside the bed.

"Here it is," she said, her once beautiful brown eyes glimmered, as she found the book.

It was Mooncake Festival in September when I last saw my grandmother. She has been older.


Looking at the old yellowed photo hanging on the wall, it was unimaginable, how time could have taken everything from us.

Her skinny arms was once round and firm; Her hair was once long and wavy; Her eyes were once full of energy.

She had spent almost her entire life bringing up her family and the families of her children. Wrinkles deepen each year.

I was never close to her - how I wish I could be, and I think some time younger I used to be scared of her. However as time flies by she has been older, so much older that she couldn't scold me or glare at me anymore, and I've been older too.

Old enough to see that I have not much time left to appreciate her.

After all, it is her life that was devoted to her children that brings me to life. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be here.

Please take care of your parents and grandparents. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't be here.

Before I end this post, here is a Thai insurance commercial that I would like to show you...... Although it's bad for a commercial, but it's touching enough for a story. :)

3 comments:

雙妍 said...

It is a nice ads actually, at least it left us impact......

I cried after the ads finish.

spitzberg said...

ahhhh~i missed my grandmother too!

my grandmother had always been a housewife, spending almost her entire life bringing up the whole family too!
it's as if as long as the family is complete and happie, she'll be happy as well. not so much of other stuff to wish for.
and i guess this is sth that i could neva do. i'm too greedy in my life i guess.

the onli things we could do are pay more attention to them, talk to them more often and of course take care of them.
awwww now i really missed home!
>____<

Erica Chin said...

katherine : yeah it was such a touchign story, I nearly shed some tears too when i first saw it.

spitz : yeah, maybe we're too greedy in life. >< and yeah....take good care of them before it's too late...

miss ya! :)