Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Something I like

It has been another busy week :P...My sister's wedding, final exam, my internship briefing. But today I'm not here to talk about any of them, but about my BASS.

I guess most of you who are following this blog know that the blogger (yeah that's me) has been learning to play bass for almost a year already. And well, to be specific, the instrument I'm playing is electric bass guitar, which you can often see it in modern rock and jazz bands.

You can see a bass in bands such as Mayday ...

Bassist of Mayday, MASA

....or Red Hot Chili Peppers, and more.

Bassist of RHCP, Flea

So at least if you don't have an idea of what is bass, now you do. So yeah, that's the 4-string thingy I'm playing.

When I first picked up bass as an instrument to master, a lot of people asked me why. Why, out of all the musical instruments, had I chosen bass - the most low profile, least noticed in a band?

I couldn't really remember all the answers I'd given to that question, but I guess sometimes the real reason of picking up something, does not come before you pick it, but after. I couldn't really tell a solid reason to why I chose bass when I was given the choice to choose.


But it's after I've known bass and known a lot of other things and people through bass, that I slowly know why. Maybe other instruments could have led me to another path, and maybe to some other people, some other things. But I'm grateful as where I am now.

I guess, when you choose your musical instrument, you have also chosen part of your life through it.

Life is one big mystery.


If I hadn't chosen music, I would not have love music. Guess it's a choice I've made long before I even decide to love music.

I think it would be dry and hard to explain what about my bass and stuffs, but I'll show you the bass I'm using currently.

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Xerxes!

Yamaha RBX270J in Metallic Red, that is.

In fact I don't know what else I could say here ... I guess only people like me would understand. Thanks to my bass...literally, you've opened me up to a wider world, a richer life.

Music, Play For Change. Music connects. :)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Xerxes... the gay Persian king in the movie 300....

spitzberg said...

i wanna see u playing bass la!

Erica Chin said...

JcX : eh yeah it's the Persian King in movie 300, but no it's not gay ><...

Erica Chin said...

spitzberg: well....some day, some day when there's any chance you can visit us jamming, hehe ^^