Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Best of My 2008

It's the Dong Zhi today! A festive day for Chinese, signifying winter solstice and also the end of previous year. Two days later we'll be celebrating Christmas. It's time to say "Happy New Year" !


It's the time in a year to start making conclusions for the previous year, and make new year resolutions for next year. So far the year 2008 has been a year of widening circles, opening views, stretching horizons and growing up for me. I feel grateful as I draw my conclusions for my own 2008.

1. Joined a band

"I heard that you play bass?" asked Calvin when my roommate gave me his MSN. "Yeah," I replied. And that marked the beginning of me having a band - now with Calvin as one of the guitarists, I as bassist, Pei as drummer and Khai as guitarist also. And I wouldn't forget to mention this time - and Teko as band manager (and vocalist sometimes) ! :P


2. Valuable memories on Terengganu islands

In mid May and June I went to two islands in Terengganu - the happening Redang and the breath-takingly beautiful Lang Tengah. It was the first time I ever see such crystal clear seawater when I reached Redang. Saw colourful corals, fishes and got to feel a live sea cucumber. Got myself a photo of snorkelling under the sea. Danced and drunk in Redang too!



Lang Tengah was yet another great experience -I saw five sharks in one day of snorkelling. I even got to play a Nemo with my own hands! Jungle trekked and saw Green Tears (a kind of plankton that glows in the night, usually seen on beaches), baby turtles and shooting stars!! And I touched the Christmas Tree corals, too. :)



3. Went to different places

I never really went to many places myself, I'd not been overseas and I only been to Melaka, Johor, Pahang and once to Sarawak. But that was before September this year! My coursemates and I went for trip to Taiping, Perak and Penang Island after our finals ended for the May semester. Nigth-safari-ed the first time in Taiping, and tasted real local Penang food in Penang! Ah, those asam lasak, fried oyster, Muachi....Yummy!



Right after came back from Penang, I went to Ipoh to attend one of my best friend's birthday party at her grandmother's house. Treated myself to lots of tasty Indian food - that was when I knew there were sooo many different kinds of Indian curry! Visited the Kellie's Castle and Gua Tempurung and also tried a few famous local dishes such as the Ipoh Tauge Chicken.



4. Watch gigs and see musicians in action

Thanks to Calvin and Teko, I had chances to watch more gigs and see more musicians in action than ever this year. The first would have to be Moonshine Gig in Laundry Bar on 13 November. Calvin brought Pei and I to watch the gig, I finally got the chance to see Tempered Mental in action - not mentioning that I even got to talk with their drummer Jimmy and Ocean of Fire's drummer Jonathan Scull in person -although they just said one or two sentences to me. :P

5. Widen musician circle

Things really would run once you got it started. At least now I know a few more musicians than just those in my own university. And it's great to know more!

6. Joined a new gang of friends

This was truly unexpected - I knew this gang of new friends through Teko. I'm the ultimate night animal for years and couldn't change. And it's great to have gang of friends to hang out in the middle of the night! Yum cha and yum cha for nights! Hehe. It is also a whole new category of people I ever mingled with. And it's very fun to hang out with them. I certainly learnt more than I would have thought. :)

7. More horizons widen!

There are still lots and lots more of experiences I gained this year. Street Dance competition I went to report about, heart patient I interviewed for my assignment, short film shooting I helped for, and the new friendly roommates and housemates! :)



I guess I just love NANA (seven in Japanese), it has been the second post I listed up to seven things. And these are the conclusions I drew for year 2008 - I'd been surprised, growing up and grateful.

That was my 2008. And how was your 2008 so far? Do tell me about it!

Until then, Happy Dong Zhi and Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

雙妍 said...

you definitely have enjoy your 2008...went to many places and enjoy food, gain many experiences ......

hope you'll have more in coming 2009. :)

Anonymous said...

Eh, christmas I lost your friend's phone, couldn't contact you all.
Can't call your phone also.
So if you see this and we're both still in singapore, do contact me.

Erica Chin said...

Shuang Yan: Yeah, happy new year, may the new year brings you more:)

Erica Chin said...

JcX : I couldn't contact you either...anyway...happy new year :)